Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Basics of a Non-profit

I had a few challenges the past couple of days. I had to make a decision of whether or not I want to put myself in a some what dangerous situation to get the experience of working for a non-profit. Although I learned a few lessons through this, I realized a lot of people do not know what a non-profit organization or business really is. Someone insisted that I should risk my safety because if I want to work for a non-profit or run my own in the future, I will have to be in dangerous cities and environments. This is not the case at all. A non-profit organization comes about with the intentions of other than generating money for yourself. A non-profit can be a public school, a charity, a church, a museum, even a university like Saint Joseph's University. Sure, my plan is to do something later on in my life when I have the funds to help those that are less fortunate material wise. This does not mean that I will have put myself in dangerous environments in order to help others. In the business world aspects non-profits are most likely organized under state law and some states exempt the organizations from state tax. These are the biggest differences from a profit organization.With this being said, I sure hope people start understanding the concepts, and true meaning of a non-profit organizations. The point is to give back and make a difference no matter where you are located.

No comments:

Post a Comment